Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Babymoon

Never heard that word before? I swear I didn't make it up. Google it and see for yourself! A "babymoon" is a romantic getaway which is taken by an expecting couple. You see, since your life is about to change completely, you go on vacation and take some time to cherish each other (and your freedom) before the baby comes. Josh and I went to Louisville, KY last weekend and had a fabulous time. And now...pictures!

For breakfast on Saturday morning we went to Lynn's Paradise Cafe. It was featured on Throwdown with Bobby Flay and on Oprah. If it's good enough for Bobby and Oprah, it's good enough for Josh and me! It is crazy in there, and I'm not just talking about the crowds--there are legs growing out of the ceiling, pants made out of used tea bags, oh, and our table had a train set underneath it. While we were waiting to be seated we browsed in the World of Swirl gift shop, which is mostly full of items from FredFlare. Among the crazy merchandise was a hat section. I sensed a photo opportunity!

I like to call this, "A wolf in Josh's clothing"


What an egghead!

Oh, and the food at Lynn's? Worth the wait. It was amazing! I had smoked sausage frittata with tomato cream sauce, served with a side of the best cheese grits I've ever eaten. Josh had french toast (which was sliced at least an inch thick). His french toast had a crusty layer of cinnamon and sugar on the outside, and it was not soggy--the mark of a good french toast.

After returning to the hotel for naps (when you're five months pregnant, what could be more romantic than sleep?) we got spiffied up for our evening out. We started the evening with an early dinner at The Melting Pot. It took us 2 1/2 hours to eat, and it was good. We were so stuffed! We decided that The Melting Pot made a very nice, romantic dinner, but it's a lot of work. It may be a while before we want to go back. Oh yes, our favorite course? The cheese course. The bread was our favorite thing to dip, but I surprised myself by also loving the Granny Smith apples dipped in the cheese sauce. Here we are with our dessert course.


After dinner we went to see Wicked! at the KY Performing Arts Center. Josh and I have wanted to see it for a long time, and it was the main reason we wanted to visit Louisville this January. It was wonderful. The seats in Whitney Hall, however, were some of the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in. Puny armrests plus no cushioning, they definitely failed the sore butt test.
Here's proof that we were actually at the theater:


I realize I look drunk in this picture, but I promise it's just the poor quality of the photo. We had to take it ourselves. Of course, it could be the sugar high from that super sweet chocolate fondue we ate.
Here's our view of the stage:

And Emmeline kicked whenever an especially loud song came on. Now, it could have been that she was on a sugar high too, but I think we have a little Broadway baby!

On Sunday afternoon we went to go see the world's largest baseball bat.

Pretty impressive, huh? Oh yes, I'm also exactly five months pregnant in this picture.


Josh, sensing the imminent danger posed by the leaning bat, rushed to save the Louisville Slugger Factory and Museum from certain doom.

Don't worry, he can fix it!

We decided that while we were there we should try to find me a good baseball glove.
Remember, when you're looking for a glove, it's essential to find one with a good fit.

This looks about right!

In case you were wondering how big the giant glove is, my sweet, obliging husband climbed inside of it to show you.

We bought Emmeline a couple of souvenirs from the gift shop. After all, she is half the reason why we went on the trip in the first place.

You'll never guess who wanted to buy her the little bat. :-)

7 comments:

Renee @ AddMoreChocolate said...

Broadway Baby. I love it! I like the "babymoon" idea too. Who knew it was a real word?

Did you get my email today? Not one, not two, but several top ten lists of books for your baby!

Alyssa K. Krebs said...

I'm so glad you and Josh had a good time! I love the shirt and bat! I'm sorry about the seats at the show, but I know you enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Babymoon. Sounds reasonable and needed to me. With two such incredibly imaginative parents (evidence in the pictures and narrative), Emmeline has to be a Broadway Babe or next Pulitzer Prize Winner. Love you, Mawmaw

Josh Krebs said...

We did have a great babymoon and enjoyed ourselves. The scariest thing is that with Katie's good looks and her own rapidly advancing musical and dancing talent, Emmeline may be a musical theatre prodigy by the time she gets here.

EuroMom said...

Oh how fun! Babymoon, Broadway baby...love it. I love the bat and glove. Looks like we need to take a trip there for my baseball guy, James.

The Melting Pot...it has been years since we have been, but isn't it fun! There is one here. Or you guys could come to town, invite your mom and dad along and come to our house. We have 2 fondue pots!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you two had a great time. Praying for your family of three.

Taras and Kelly said...

I absolutely LOVE your photos. Emmeline can't help but have a flair for the dramatic with you two as parents!