Monday, October 13, 2008

Book Recommendation

I remember when I used to enjoy reading sad books and watching sad movies. Now I think, "If I am going to take some of my precious free time and spend it reading or watching a movie, why would I want to watch something that is going to depress me?" That's why I refuse to watch the movie Atonement, because the thought of watching a train wreck--good drama or not--doesn't sound that appealing. The problem is, for those of us who like happy endings, it gets very difficult to find good books to read these days. Apparently, sad endings are the only things that get published anymore. If you want a book that will make you smile you're reduced to ChickLit (although some of it is good, it gets tiring after a while) or kids books (and kids books are great, but it is nice to have something to read that's longer than 20 pages).

However, in a literary world full of death and despair, I recently managed to find a book that is both well-written and uplifting. The book is called Welcome to the World, Baby Girl! by Fannie Flagg. I'm sure I'm probably one of the last people to read this book, as Flagg is not a new author, and this book was published 10 years ago. But, if you are like me and you've passed over this book in the bookstore over and over again thinking "I should read that book, it looks good" well, you should read it. It comes in a handy thrift edition for less than ten dollars, and it's worth it. Flagg is a great writer, and the story has plenty of conflict and suspense, but this book also has a nice, sweet ending that will make you feel good about life.

Now, doesn't that sound better than watching a train wreck?

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to check that one out (of the library, that is). You and I are definitely on the same page when it comes to enjoying happy endings and avoiding train wrecks.

By the way, isn't Fannie Flagg the one who wrote Fried Green Tomatoes? I haven't read the book, but I've seen the movie...pretty good if you can get past the "barbecue" part.